Home / Blog / 10 Fun Facts About Aging

10 Fun Facts About Aging

There’s a cultural phenomenon that surrounds the concept of aging. Most choose to perceive and experience aging negatively, when in fact, there are myriad reasons why aging should be seen as an ultimately positive thing. Don’t believe us? Here are 10 facts about aging that might change your mind.

10 Fun Facts About Aging

Photo Credit | Deposit Photos | @kanareva

1. As our first of 10 fun facts about aging, let’s start off simple. Since 1960, life expectancy has increased by three and a half years.

2. Your creative capacity doesn’t shrivel away in the slightest. Take the German philosopher Immanuel Kant for example. He published what are arguably some of his greatest works between ages 60 and 80.

3. It’s never too late to start a successful business, either. Did you know that Harlan David Sanders – better known by the familiar moniker Colonel Sanders – founded Kentucky Fried Chicken at the age of 65.

4. On top of that, as of 2009, there are at least 6.5 million elderly citizens ages 65 or older working labor jobs. That number is projected to reach 11.1 million by 2018.

5. That might be the right way to go, considering working past retirement can help you achieve longevity.

6. Really though, the key to longevity is in your lifestyle. This report argues that only 30% of the characteristics associated with aging are determined by genetics. The other 70% is determined by the way you choose to live your life.

7. So choose to be happy! Actually, a 2008 Gallup poll showed that more people report feeling happier as they get older than vice versa. Specifically, this starts happening after age 50. So, this shouldn’t be too much of a challenge.

8. Now for some real fun. Studies show that as you age, your body sweats less.

9. And so much for getting soft! Researchers have suggested that the older you get, the more competitive you become.

10. Finally, it’s not all about exercise. What you’re doing right now is actually healthy for you. This study shows that exercise in combination with computer use can prevent memory loss.